We have three positions currently open:
- Marketing and Communications Director (located at YVC Headquarters, Kansas City, MO)
- Summer of Service Program Director (two positions: one located in Lawrence, KS, and one located in Topeka, KS)
Marketing & Communications Director
Are you a story teller? Do you find magic in the mundane? Are you a live-tweeting, deadline-driven, lover of all things service?
Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is based in Kansas City, with youth service programs around the U.S. and Canada. We create volunteer opportunities to address community needs and to inspire youth for a lifetime commitment to service. We need a Marketing & Communications Director to develop and implement all aspects of marketing, communications and public relations, including digital and print channels. The Marketing & Communications Director is responsible for telling the YVC story to support programming and fundraising goals. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and will work alongside a small and passionate team to move the YVC mission forward.
The new Marketing & Communications Director is poised to join the team at an exciting time in YVC’s history. This year, YVC is celebrating its 30th Anniversary with a marketing and fundraising campaign to celebrate the 300,000+ youth who have served with YVC since 1987. YVC is a pioneer in the youth service community with a proven program model. It’s time that the Kansas City community and beyond is aware of this incredible impact, and the ideal candidate will meet the challenge to tell that inspiring story.
Location and Culture:
YVC’s national headquarters is located in a beautifully restored home built in 1874 in the Quality Hill District of downtown Kansas City. Inside this house, you’ll find energy, enthusiasm, and loyalty to the idea that youth-service can change the world. YVC is Kansas City’s best kept secret and the Marketing & Communications Director will lead the effort to generate a powerful buzz about what we do and why it’s so important.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate external communications
- Lead the communications effort to YVC stakeholders (funders, youth volunteers, program staff, and nonprofit partners) including print and digital newsletters and regular blogging.
- Lift up the YVC brand on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Build an audience through local and national media outlets.
- Support fundraising efforts through dynamic stories, effective messaging, and beautiful images.
- Share the impact by writing, designing and producing YVC’s annual report.
- Design communications graphics and coordinate with freelance graphic designer as needed.
- Generate excitement for a lifetime commitment to service by building relationships with the YVC alumni network.
Coordinate strategy for communicating with and supporting our affiliates
- Shorten the gap between YVCHQ and our affiliate programs located around the US and Canada through regular emails, social media connections, and marketing support.
- Connect with colleagues at affiliate programs to coach and collaborate to market YVC on a local level.
Manage the YVC brand and serve as chief storyteller
- Be a diligent listener and collect YVC stories to share that lift up the YVC brand.
- Type, tweet, and talk about YVC every day.
- Influence a culture of learning and teaching about community-based service-learning to position YVC as a thought-leader in youth development.
- Design and produce YVC marketing materials including t-shirts, water bottles, and other gear to sell and give away.
Serve as website administrator
- Update, design, and troubleshoot YVC’s WordPress website.
- Create a top-of-mind awareness of YVC through search engine optimization and a meaningful digital presence.
- Make the YVC Summit, the biggest YVC gathering of the year, a fun, educational, and intuitively-designed celebration through communication, conference materials, and more.
- Utilize graphic design for t-shirts, flyers, digital and print promotional materials, infographics, etc.
- Bachelors degree required
- Preferred 3-5 years experience in marketing and/or communications
YVC needs someone who has:
- Excellent writing skills
- An independent and ambitious spirit
- A happy heart with a resiliency to change and uncertainty
- A sense of urgency that keeps them organized, prioritized, and on time
- The ability to think creatively and strategically to solve problems
- Curiosity and courage
Salary and job title will be commensurate with experience and perceived job fit.
This position is given three weeks Paid Time Off for the first three years, then 4-6 weeks depending on tenure, plus 14 paid holidays per year. The position also offers $350 per month toward self-directed benefits of your choosing.
Please submit letter of interest that highlights how you have demonstrated key qualifications and position duties in the past, resume, and 3 years’ salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer of Service Program Director
Looking for a summer gig? Want to expand your reach and make a positive difference in the lives of youth in your community while sharpening your skills? Want to be an integral part of an international youth service movement?
The Summer of Service Program Director will plan, recruit for, and supervise meaningful service-learning projects for youth ages 11-18 in Lawrence. The Summer of Service Program Director will work to engage youth in meaningful service.
Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is a youth service organization that creates and supports quality, team-based youth service opportunities in the U.S. and Canada. Youth Volunteer Corps is an international network of programs that offer 11-18 year olds the opportunity to gain skills and improve their world through volunteering. YVC mobilizes diverse teams of Youth Volunteers from across the community to complete meaningful service-learning projects that address a variety of important needs.
Youth Volunteer Headquarters staff will train you on the following duties and will provide resources such as service-learning curriculum, data collection software, icebreaker collections, project ideas, marketing materials, direct support, and more!
- Attend at least two training days (dates flexible depending on schedule)
- Collaborate with schools, youth, and agencies to plan service-learning projects in accordance with YVC Program Standards.
- Recruit Youth Volunteers from a variety of sources to serve on those projects.
4-Week Summer of Service:
- Plan four weeks of meaningful service projects (Monday-Thursday, 9 am-4 pm) engaging a different agency each week such as Habitat for Humanity, homeless shelters, community kitchens, etc.
- Recruit 10-12 youth ages 11-18 to participate in each week of summer programming.
- Supervise YVC projects ensuring a safe, educational, fun, and rewarding Youth Volunteer experience. Adhere to the Youth Protection Policy.
- Design projects to include icebreakers, team builders, service-learning and reflection. Training and resources will be provided to you.
- Collect complete and accurate data of project activities and Youth Volunteer involvement in a timely manner.
- Communicate questions, concerns and accomplishments with YVC Headquarters.
- Help plan Youth Volunteer recognition method.
- Act as a role model for Youth Volunteers.
After the project weeks:
- Plan and attend a recognition event for Summer of Service participants
Attend a meeting with YVC Headquarters to discuss your experience and provide feedback.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien
- Pass all background checks and adhere to Youth Volunteer Corps’ Youth Protection Policy
- Be available to run a Summer of Service program for at least 4 weeks of the summer
- Have experience volunteering and working with 11-18 year-old youth
- Be outgoing, organized, friendly and able to multitask
- Communicate well with people from a variety of backgrounds, including at-risk youth
- Communicate frequently, thoroughly, and efficiently with YVC Headquarters staff
- Have a passion for helping youth succeed
- Have basic computer knowledge
- Own a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Be available for at least 2 training days (dates are flexible) before launching Summer of Service program
Other Characteristics for a successful experience in this position:
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge of service-learning
- Strong personal ethic of service
- Familiarity with the nonprofit agencies in your community
$2,000 stipend will be paid out at the end of the summer based on successful implementation of YVC program.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please highlight specific experience regarding youth service, your availability for the summer, and explain why this position is one you desire.