We currently have one position open:
Director of Development
Are you a natural networker? Do you feel most alive when you are telling a story you believe in? Are you a priority-juggling, self-starting fundraiser with a strategic playbook you’re always adding to?
Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is a national nonprofit based in Kansas City, with youth service programs around the U.S. and Canada. We create volunteer opportunities to address community needs and to inspire youth for a lifetime commitment to service. We need a Director of Development to create and manage a fund development plan that supports and amplifies YVC’s impact. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and will work alongside an incredible board, the Founder, and a small, passionate team to move the YVC mission forward.
The new Director of Development is poised to join the team at an exciting time in YVC’s history. This year, YVC is celebrating its 30th Anniversary with a fundraising and marketing campaign to celebrate the 300,000+ youth who have served with YVC since 1987. YVC is a pioneer in the youth service community with a proven program model. This is an opportune time for the Kansas City community and beyond to become aware of this incredible impact, and the ideal candidate will connect with funders ready to invest in YVC’s next 30 years.
Location and Culture:
YVC’s national headquarters is located in a beautifully restored home built in 1874 in the Quality Hill District of downtown Kansas City. Inside this house, you’ll find energy, enthusiasm, and loyalty to the idea that youth-service can change the world. The Director of Development will join a staff working hard to generate a powerful buzz about what we do and why it’s so important.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Plan fund development activities
- Through an understanding of YVC’s unique mission and model of delivery, research funding opportunities to successfully link YVC with appropriate funders nationwide.
- Design a comprehensive fund development strategy for meeting and exceeding goals at YVC Headquarters, detailed on a development calendar with deadlines for key activities.
- Help YVC meet its mission through ongoing evaluation and goal monitoring.
Initiate fund development activities
- Tell the YVC story through donor meetings, special events, grant writing, written and online donor communications, networking events, campaign management, and special projects.
- Develop and implement programs to effectively utilize board members in development activities, stewardship and cultivation activities. Coach YVC staff to act as advocates of YVC’s fundraising strategy.
- Work with the YVC marketing team to create, polish, and deliver a fundraising case that highlights the YVC cause for delivery to donors and advocates.
- Cultivate and maintain meaningful and mutually beneficial relationships with corporate, foundation, and individual donors across the country to grow our donor base.
- Develop an annual plan of communication touch points, and lead YVC’s donor stewardship initiative through accurate record keeping, reporting, and timely donor acknowledgement and recognition.
- Create sustainability and stability in YVC’s fundraising efforts through donor database maintenance.
- Reach deep and wide into the Kansas City community and across the nation to find invested stakeholders that advance the mission and fundraising goals of YVC.
- Assist in making the YVC Summit, the biggest YVC gathering of the year, a fun and educational celebration through fundraising, workshop planning, promotional activities, and more.
- Bachelors degree required
- Fundraising/grant writing or related experience required
- AFP membership a plus; CFRE or CFRE candidates a plus
YVC needs someone who has:
- Excellent and effective writing and public speaking skills
- A dynamic and warm personal presence
- An independent and ambitious spirit
- Resiliency to change and uncertainty
- A sense of urgency that keeps them organized, prioritized, and on time
- The ability to think creatively and strategically to solve problems in a collaborative environment
- Sensitivity to necessary confidentiality
- Curiosity and courage
Salary and job title will be commensurate with experience and perceived job fit.
This position is given three weeks Paid Time Off for the first three years, then 4-6 weeks depending on tenure, plus 14 paid holidays per year. The position also offers $350 per month toward self-directed benefits of your choosing.
Please submit letter of interest that highlights how you have demonstrated key qualifications and position duties in the past, resume, and 3 years’ salary history to email@example.com.