Do you like a little friendly competition between friends? We’ve got a fun project idea that will allow you to bring out your competitive side while brightening up someone’s day. Hold a Senior Olympics event at a local retirement home!
- 1. Identify a local retirement home or senior center that is looking for volunteers to come socialize with their residents. Contact the center (the Activities Director is generally a good person to talk to) to see if they would be interested in holding a Senior Olympics.
- 2. Recruit other volunteers who are excited about helping the elderly in a little friendly competition.
- 3. Work with the retirement home to plan out some appropriate activities. Some ideas for Olympic sporting events are: Balloon volleyball, beanbag toss, wheelchair races, yoga, etc.
- 4. Gather any supplies you might need for your activities. Don’t forget to plan an Award Ceremony with a few special ribbons or trophies!
- 5. Create some fliers that the retirement home staff can post around the building announcing the games.
- 6. Hold your Olympics!
- 7. Thank your volunteers and “athletes” for participating.