Every day, youth all over the U.S. and Canada make a difference in their communities through Youth Volunteer Corps. We set aside one day each year to celebrate all that these Youth Volunteers accomplish every day, which took place this year on March 4, 2017.
YVC Day 2017 was especially important as we are celebrating YVC’s 30th Anniversary. This year as we volunteered together throughout North America, we were also celebrating the inspiring accomplishments of the 300,000+ youth who have volunteered with YVC over the last three decades.
Youth from YVC’s International Youth Advisory Board came up with the Throwback theme for YVC Day 2017. We threw it back to the very first YVC projects that took place in Kansas City in the summer of 1987. Below are the issue areas that these projects covered:
- Revitalizing a public space
- Working with kids, including sports activities, tutoring, crafts and more
- Creating and improving nature trails and spaces
- Working with people with developmental disabilities
- Educating the community about important issues through skits and other community activism
Check out the YVC Day 2017: Throwback to 1987 blog post to see what youth volunteers accomplished in their communities!